Monday, December 26, 2011

Fruit Cocktail Cake


This recipe I got from my father. He had gotten it from his mother who got it from Sister Teresa Ann back in 1968. My mother in law has been saying that Granny always said the best cake was a fruit cocktail cake. As soon as my dad gave this to me (which I didn't know that he had) I knew I would soon be making it.



I'm sorry that isn't the best picture, I will be sure to get a better one here soon. This cake is super moist, considering that you pour the topping mixture over top of it and the cake acts like a sponge and soaks it up. I wasn't to sure about this as I was making it, but it turned out so good, the mother in law loves it too!

Ingredients
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 16 oz can fruit cocktail
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp oil
  • 1/2 cup orange or pineapple juice (I used orange since I had it on hand)
  • 3/4 cup flaked coconut
Mix all but the coconut together and put in a greased and floured 9"x13" pan. Top the batter with coconut. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes

Topping
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 Tsp vanilla
Cook together for 4 to 5 minutes. Pour over hot cake.


HAPPY EATS! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment