Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Meatloaf

Ah meatloaf! There are so many different ways to make it. I had only made my mothers version before a got this one and I haven't made my mothers since! I actually don't think I will ever make a different version from this one ever again! It is just that good to me!


This recipe is one that I have modified that I got from a friend. I had tried it her way first and decided that I needed to improve it to our taste. My husband prefers it her way (it has a pound of sausage, 2 packs of onion soup mix and 1 cup of bread crumbs), but I don't really care for it, it's the sausage I don't care for. I do sometimes make it with out the sausage first and make me a little loaf then add in the sausage for him. The sauce I do have to say is what really makes this! I tend to double this since I love it so much I tend to drowned my meatloaf in it!

This is her picture of her meatloaf. 


Ingredients
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 chopped large onion 
  • 1 pack onion soup mix
  • 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs (I use the Italian kind for more seasoning)
  • 2 eggs

Mix with your hands very very well &shape into a loaf. Place in  a 8" baking dish. Cook at 350 for 2 hours. The last 15 minutes pour some sauce on top.


Sauce Ingredients
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 4 Tsp dry mustard (you can also use 4 Tbsp prepared mustard, it will taste just the same I have tried both ways)
  • couple pinches of Nutmeg
  • 2/3 cups brown sugar 
  • 2 Tsp butter

Heat in a small pot till sugar is dissolved.


HAPPY EATS! :)

2 comments:

MiniMoe said...

Mark doesn't like Meatloaf, and Mom's is the only kinda I like. I wish I could say I'll give this a go, I just might, but it's not gonna be too soon.
Sounds pretty interesting though!

I'll have to keep this one on mind.

Liz Olver said...

I love meatloaf, it's one of my favorite foods and I'm with you, I don't like sausage in it. My mom use to hard boil and peel eggs, then put them in the center of the meatloaf before she baked it. Kind of cool when you sliced the loaf. But..I'm content with plain old meatloaf. :)

Post a Comment