Saturday, February 25, 2012

Broccoli & Cheese Casserole

Apparently my brother-in-law has been making this for quite sometime, but I don't remember having it at any of our Christmas get togethers. This year my sister brought it and gave me the recipe for it. I kept all the left overs for it and Karleigh and I ate them all the very next day. Thank goodness she will eat green foods other than green bean (My husband won't eat anything green, other than green beans).


I've made this two or three times since my sister gave me the recipe at Christmas time and this time I've remembered to put it on here! I love this so much that I make it for a snack for Karleigh and I rather than a side dish.



Adapted from: Mariah (my sister) who got it from our brother-in-law (I have changed a few things to better fit Karleigh and I's taste)

Ingredients
  • 16 oz frozen broccoli
  • 1lb Velveeta Cheese
  • 1 sleeve of buttery smooth crackers, crumbled (we like the Great Value brand, the original recipe calls for plain Ritz crackers)

Cook broccoli on stove top as directed on the back of the package (I've tried this in the microwave before, but it just comes out so much better when you do it on the stove). Drain the broccoli and place back in pan: add Velveeta and cook until it is melted. 

At this point the original calls for you to melt half a cup of butter in a saucepan then add the crackers and stir until mixed well, I skip this step and just move on to the next feel free to do this if you would like though.

Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray and add 3/4 of the crumbled crackers to the bottom, pour broccoli and cheese mixture on top. Top with remaining crackers. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 350 or until top browns. 

HAPPY EATS! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment