Sunday, March 4, 2012

Chocolate Bundt Cake

This is one of those great Pinterest (don't you just LOVE that site? I know I do.) finds. However, whom I found it from didn't list the recipe so I had to go to a different site to get it. Looking at the picture and the name, I just knew I HAD to make it. I made sure I put everything I needed on my grocery list this week. I mean just look at it, you can't tell me you aren't dying to make it too.


I had TONS of time on my hands today it seemed, however I didn't feel so well. I pounding headache and feeling sick to my stomach, I couldn't wait for nap time to come around so I could lay down with my little sweet pea.

After nap time I felt a zillion times better and since I had thrown supper together in the slow cooker (tonight was Granny's Beef Veggie Soup), I was in the mood to bake. I had got the ingredients I needed to make two different desserts this week and one was just screaming at me to make it.

If you read my Sticky Buns post, you might remember me posting that I didn't own a bundt pan. That has since changed. I recently got myself one and was looking for a recipe to make in it when I stumbled on this one.

After I took this beauty out of the oven I couldn't stop snapping pictures of it. I was just in love with it. Here are a few of them for you to gawk at as well.



Look at those air holes, oh those yummy holes!  Oh sorry! :)


I know some of you may be thinking, what is so great about this? If you are an avid cooker or baker you will see what I see in this. You will know what I mean when I say I was overly excited when I bought this bundt pan for myself! Yes, I'm one of those weirdo's that get excited about little stuff  like a $10 bundt pan! 

Now since I've teased you enough with pictures of this OH MY GOODNESS cake, I will share the recipe with you.

Adapted from: Joy the Baker

What you're gonna need...

For the cake:
  • 1 1/4 C. plus 1 Tbsp brewed coffee
  • 3/4 C. Cocoa Powder
  • 2 1/4 C. sugar
  • 1 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 1/4 C. plus 1 Tbs buttermilk
  • 1 C. plus 2 Tbsp Oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 Cups plus 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
For the Glaze: (how I made mine)
  • 3 oz chocolate (I used the Ghirardelli 60% cocoa baking bar, I ate what was left of it!)
  • 1/2 C. unsalted butter 1/4 C. salted (because that was all that I had on hand)
  • 2 C. powdered sugar
  • 1/2 sour cream
  • 1/4 C. brewed coffee, cooled

First preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Next grease your bundt pan and set it off to the side.

You're gonna make the cake first so, put your coffee and the cocoa powder in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil. You're going to want to whisk it frequently. After it has boiled, remove it from the heat and let it come to room temp. 

Now a mixing bowl mix together your sugar, salt, baking soda, eggs and yolk on a low speed for a minute. Add in your buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract, mix that again for another minute. Next add in your flour and mix on a medium speed for 2 minutes. Now, add in your coffee/cocoa mixture and mix on a medium speed for 3 minutes. Don't fret, but your batter will be loose. Pour this into your pre-greased bundt pan and bake it for about an hour. 

Let the cake cool completely and then invert it onto a cooling rack. 

Now you're gonna make your icing. Chop your chocolate into small pieces, and put in a microwave safe dish. Heat for a minute, remove and whisk till all the chocolate is melted. In another bowl melt your butter. Whisk your butter into the melted chocolate until well blended. Whisk in half the powdered sugar and all of the sour cream. Next whisk in remaining powdered sugar. Now, whisk in your coffee to create a glossy glaze. 

Pour your glaze over the cake covering it completely. Dig in and Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment