Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Chicken Nuggets Part I

Raise your hand if your go to food for your little one is chicken nuggets. Now don't you look silly raising your hand in front of your computer! Every Momma I know always has chicken nuggets in their freezer. I don't know about you, but I'm getting concerned about what companies put in our food. Half the names you can't pronounce and all the salt and sodium they are loaded with just makes me want to cringe! So, I went on a hunt for a homemade chicken nugget and I hit the jackpot when I found these.


I can proudly say that I can pronounce every ingredient in these homemade delicious chicken nuggets. That makes the mommy in me all warm and fuzzy that I am doing something good for my baby. She loves Momma's cooking to, so there wasn't much of a shock when she loved these. Score for this mommy! 

Personally, next time I make them I think I will add a little less garlic and onion. After making them, freezing them and baking they kind of have a strong garlic/onion smell to me. But as my  husband says I have the sniffer of a blood hound! I'm always smelling stuff that others can't for some reason. 







Adapted From: Weelicious

What you're gonna need...
  • 1 lb chicken breast, boneless & skinless cut into chunks (I bought organic)
  • 1/4 cup old fashioned oats 
  • 1/4 tsp dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated

What you're gonna do...
  1. Preheat your oven to 375.
  2. Place your first 6 ingredients in a food processor until chicken is finely chopped & everything ins combined.
  3. Place your bread crumbs & Parmesan cheese in a shallow bowl; stir to combine.
  4. With moistened hands, roll 1 tablespoon of chicken mixture between your palms & flatten into a "nugget" shape.
  5. Gently press nuggets into bread crumbs to evenly coat. *
  6. Place nuggets on a cooling rack. Place cooling rack over a foil-lined baking sheet.
  7. Lightly spray nuggets with cooking spray.
  8. Bake for 15 minutes and serve. **
* To freeze, place nuggets on a sheet tray after step 5 for one hour then put in a freezer bag. Will keep up to 3 months. When ready to eat, follow directions starting with step 6.

** If you want them golden brown, place them under the broiler for 2 minutes after cooking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment