Monday, April 16, 2012

Mini Corn Dog Muffins

I have had a ton of homemade recipes saved up to make for our daughter, but never actually went to some of them until now. This is one of them and I am so excited about it and I believe she will really enjoy these.


I love how they are like a regular corn dog with out the stick that I would have to worry about her trying to chew on or accidentally shoving down her throat or something. If you're a mother you know all the scary things that can run through your mind thinking about how your baby could accidentally  harm themselves. 

Another thing I love about these is that I know what went in them to make them. I can pronounce everything and I know there is no added stuff to try to make them taste better. I know exactly what is going into my precious baby's belly without having to worry. There is no better feeling than that to me. 

There was too much breading on them for the husbands liking, but oh well they aren't for him. He's not all about this health kick that I am on so he wasn't so pleased when I told him that I put whole wheat and Splenda in them but he did approve of them! I actually loved them and it's going to be hard for me not to eat them when I give them to her. Guess I'll have to make a double batch next time. 




Adapted from: One Good Thing

What you're gonna need...
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup Splenda sugar mix)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 cup milk & added 1 tsp cream of tarter)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup corn meal
  • 1 cup all purpose flour (I actually used whole wheat)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 8-10 hot dogs, cut into 1" bites (I used turkey dogs cut into about 1/2" or a little longer, therefore I only used 6 dogs. )

What you're gonna do...
  1. Preheat your oven to 375.
  2. If you're "making" your buttermilk I suggest doing that. Add 1 tsp cream of tarter to 1 cup of milk and let set for 5 minutes.
  3. Combine your butter and sugar in a bowl, whisk to combine. 
  4. Next whisk in your eggs. 
  5. Add in your buttermilk.
  6. In a separate bowl whisk together your soda, corn meal, flour and salt. 
  7. Next whisk your dry into your wet ingredients. 
  8. Spray your mini muffin pan with nonstick spray and add in about a 1 Tbsp of batter to each muffin cup. 
  9. Place one hot dog bite into the middle of each cup.
  10. Bake for 10 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown.
  11. Let them cool for 5 minutes in the tin before serving or cool completely and freeze for later. 

3 comments:

jes @ twosmuppies said...

thank you for the deepest depths of my heart for posting this on a monday. i am so looking forward to making these!

Serra said...

You're welcome! They are very good, it's hard to eat just a few of them!

twiggy@thedirtlife said...

these look dangerous.

Post a Comment