Sunday, April 15, 2012

Peanut Butter Bacon Woofies

I've done it, I've spoiled my furbaby even more if that is even possible. Rocky came along before our daughter did, so I consider him more less my first child. I freak out over him the same way I do over my daughter. He likes to hide on me and you should see my frantically run through the house trying to find him. 



I've heard of people making homemade treats for their dogs, I kind of thought it was too much. But, that was before Rocky came along and put some serious paw prints in my heart. We're always making treats for ourselves, so why not make him some as well. I'm sure they have to taste a lot better than the store bought ones. You're sweat and love went into making these and I'm sure they will be able to taste that. 

I know Rocky has a sweet spot for peanut butter, it's the hubby's and his favorite snack together! And what dog doesn't come running when they smell you frying bacon? I found this one and knew it was just perfect for him. I've found some other ones that I am going to try out as soon as he makes these disappear (which won't take long). I've broke it up to give him at least one a day, so I have 3 weeks and 3 days worth. Since I don't own a dog bone cookie cutter, I just decided to go with a reasonable sized biscuit cutter. Depending on what you use and how thick you make them (I think I might have made mine a little thicker than they should of been) depends on how many you end up with. Regardless, I'm sure you're furry child will love you even more than he already does for these. 

Now let me show you a few of my favorite pictures of Rocky. He will be 3 this October and I think I'm going to try to find a puppy cake recipe to make him! Yes, the husband does think I am crazy. I'm that crazy lady at the store that always has to bring her pooch something new home. 



He was 3 months old here. Such a cute little furry baby! 


Oh my goodness, how I love him so much! 



I just love this picture. The was the day we brought Karleigh home from the hospital. 
As you can see they are now inseparable. 
Rocky, today! 


Now on to to those treats! He loved them. I actually gave him two and I couldn't get any really good shots before he scarfed them down. 






Adapted From: Tidy Mom

What you're gonna need...
  • 1 cup oat flour (you can just grind up rolled oat)
  • 1 cup brown rice flour (regular or whole wheat will work as well)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 or 3 pieces cooked bacon
  • 1 shredded carrot

What you're gonna do...
  1. Preheat your oven to 350.
  2. In a medium bowl combine all your wet ingredients until well blended. 
  3. Add both flours to wet mixture to form a dough.
  4. Roll out to 1/4" thick. 
  5. Cut out with cookie cutter (or with a biscuit cutter as I did)
  6. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. You can put the close together, just as long as they are not touching.
  7. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. 
  8. Let them cool in the oven. , then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. 
  9. Store about a weeks worth on the counter in a sealed container & the rest can go in your freezer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment