Saturday, April 14, 2012

Sweet Potato Stuffed Baked Apples

Holy Moly Guacamoly! Are these O...M...Goodness good! I have a crazy tooth when it comes to sweet taters and these by far top all the sweet taters I have ever had in my 26 years of life! My husband isn't much of a sweet potato fan, but he loved these! There was no surprise when Karleigh took a liking to them as well, she's sweet tater crazy like her Momma! 



The hubby said these were so sweet that they could be eaten as a dessert, I believe they could as well. My dad was over at the time of dinner, so he ate with us and loved these as well. It's like a baked apple pie with the goodness of sweet potato casserole. There is nothing not to like about these.

I had bad lighting thanks to a thunderstorm that rolled through tonight so that's why you see and orangeish glow to the pictures. I apologize for that. I don't have thee greatest lighting in my kitchen to begin with and the thunderstorm wasn't helping.





Adapted From: Iowa Girl Eats


What you're gonna need....
  • 8 apples (Jonathan, Rome or Braeburn work best)
  • 32 oz can sweet potatoes or yams packed in light syrup, drained
  • 6 Tbsp butter
  • 4 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • mini marshmallows

What you're gonna do...
  1. Preheat your oven to 325.
  2. Cut a small slice off the bottom of the apples so they sit flat. 
  3. Cut the tops off and scoop out the insides, leaving about 1/2" around the sides and bottom of the apple.
  4. Mash the sweet potatoes, butter, brown sugar and salt together. 
  5. Fill your apples with the sweet potato mixture
  6. Place your apples inside a baking dish and bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until apples are soft, but no split.
  7. Top them with mini marshmallow and toast under the broiler.

No comments:

Post a Comment