Friday, April 13, 2012

Hearty Sausage 'n' Beans

I don't know about you, but I actually enjoy Friday the 13th. We have bad luck as it is, so for some odd reason these days are always better days for us. Just the way our luck rolls I guess. I didn't even know it was Friday the 13th till I jumped on Pinterest this morning. The date of today has nothing to do with the dish that I made last night. I just wanted to get my two sense in on it since everyone else had as well. 



I would recommend having everything on hand for this dish at any given moment. It it quite delightful and filling. There is nothing at all to it, so simple I think my 13 month old could throw this together. I was going to make sauteed spinach with it, but it was a mad house here so I didn't have time. We were quite content with just this though. 

Naturally I had to adjust it a little to give it a little more flavor for our liking, but you can easily fix it and do it how I found it if you'd like. 






What you're gonna need....

  • 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp oil
  • 2 cans (15 oz each) pinto beans, rinsed & drained
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes w/ mild green chilies, undrained (this is where I changed it, I used Italian diced tomatoes)
  • 1 Tbsp ranch salad dressing mix
  • 2 cups uncooked instant rice

What you're gonna do....
  1. In a Dutch oven, cook your sausage and onion in oil over medium heat until your onion is tender. 
  2. Add your beans, water, tomatoes and salad dressing mix. 
  3. Bring to a boil; stir in rice.
  4. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until rice is tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment