Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread



I  adapted this recipe from one that I found in my Taste of Home cookbook and it is by far thee best banana bread I have ever had. I'm pretty certain it has a lot to do with the cream cheese.

I've made this several times before plain[minus the pecans and orange glaze, as you see listed on the Taste of Home site] but this time I wanted to play around with it. Instead of 2 cups of sugar, considering the bananas have natural sugars in it I didn't really see the need for a whole 2 cups. I also used half white flour and half wheat flour, instead of all white. Of course I added in chocolate chips in stead of pecans, because to me chocolate and bananas have always been a favorite of mine. Both ways are amazingly good. Either way you go, you won't go wrong.

Your star contenders. 

Cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar. 

Add eggs in one at a time. 

After adding in bananas and vanilla. 

Add in salt, baking soda and powder. 

After adding in flour and chocolate chips. 

Ready to go in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes. Someone is eager to have a bite of it! 

Just out of the oven. 






Adapted from: Taste of Home cookbook

Ingredients

  • 3/4 c butter, softened
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1 c sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 mashed ripe bananas
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 c wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup chocolate chips + more for top

Preheat your oven to 350 and grease two 8x4 inch loaf pans. 

In a large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, on at a time beating well after each one. Beat in bananas and vanilla.

Add in baking powder, baking soda and salt. Slowly add in flour. Fold in chocolate chips. 

Pour into your loaf pans and sprinkle tops with remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 

Allow to cool for 10 minutes in pan and remove to wire rack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment